Sep 20, 2008

Here comes the trainees...

They call it sudanization, its where Malaysian will be replaced by Sudanese to work in the field and the office too...149 trainee already posted to Tharjath to go through their on the job training. i was told that it was part and parcel of the assignment as well. in other word we will not get paid to teach the trainee. the training coordinator stay in Al Khartoum and all the trainee is 1000km at Tharjath. The line trainer was here last month for a short briefing on how they are going to get us to implement the successful training activities.

Its easier to speak rather than to get involved face to face with the trainee, some of them are eager to learn some of them are cool enough that a snake can pass through their feet. The task book is 99% the same like what we use before for our own training program, sooner all the trainee will become a good skill worker to take over the whole plant operation.

They were divided into a few group and assigned to every deparment at the site, for every 2 weeks they switch their position into other deparment, that was a fast track lane to train all of them into a basic plant operation.

Personal point of view

Good things first
  1. 2 weeks rotations means that i will see different type of trainees in a very short time.
  2. I have new friends for every 2 weeks.
  3. They can become my helper during my normal job. Because my helper already left for a better job in Ad Doha( this what I heard from a friend)
  4. Different type of people makes me feel more challenging.
  5. They help me out sometime on my workload
  6. I can capture their level of knowledge and social culture.
  7. I know more bout Sudanese.
  8. I can learn more local dialects and Arabic Language.
  9. I can show my anger(sometime).
  10. Remind me to my old days during my training period back in 1995.
Bad things are;
  1. They tend to ask the same question.
  2. Too many of them and I cannot commit to all the trainee
  3. I wasn't attend any formal training to become a trainer.
  4. Some of them are quite stiff, they don't want to listen to me
  5. I cannot stay punctual to pick up them because of my work nature and unscheduled working time.
  6. My expectation is very high.
  7. They don't understand my simple English and need translation
  8. Sometime they asking for something out of the job scope, I'm not a driver to sent them to their village for example.
  9. I kept wondering? who teach them engineering drawing, definitely not Mr Saidin if not no wonder their drawing are like Picasso's.
I ask them a simple question to acquire their personality, to capture the state of understanding and communication.

"What is the function of the car?"

  1. The car make us move faster to the destination and make people happy.
  2. We can reach the destination faster. More people like us because we have car.
  3. We are less affected by weather and dust by traveling with a car.
  4. No answer at all, don't know how to express things in English.
The answer above will be the key indicator towards their creativity and communication level. Some of them tend to keep quiet and talking in Arabic to their friend to have their answer voice out, some of them are writing a novel to answer my question, some of them just kept on smiling. The intonation will determine their level of knowledge.

I'm looking for short and meaningful answer.
" the function of the car is to transport people from one point to another"

When we talk about technical stuff, we don't usually write or express thing like what they did to create a Harry Potter. Have a look at your pump manual and Lord of the Ring. The different is wide, this is where you can differentiate the need, accessories and functionality.

Coming back to the story, not all of them will have the same chance to get the job here some of them will be transferred to other location, they are competing amongst themselves to be the best oil and gas skilled worker.

I'm willing to teach as long as they are willing to grab my tiny knowledge. Otherwise I will be staying longer than what I'm suppose to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment